A glimpse at life as a college student in Boston.

Monday, October 20, 2008

I can never think of good blog titles....

Well as the fall semester picks up, you can imagine the times are gettin' busy around here. Once again, I apologize for the lapse in blogging. I had midterms last week, along with midterms came plenty of studying. I had my second exam in Radiology, a midterm exam in Clinical II class, and my very large and very important midterm in Oncology/Pathology. That was the one that I was worried about the most since its almost about 50% of my grade. Needless to say, my hours of dedication to organizing my lecture notes, and making a few personal reference notes have paid off. I haven't gotten my exam back in that class yet but i'm assuming I will get it this Thursday (since we only meet once a week anyways). I can really feel the pressure starting to build up now. We really are cruising past halfway of the semester, which means those first couple grades are really adding up and giving you a pretty good idea on how the outcome of the class is going to be. I'm pushing really hard to finish my senior year with good grades but I have to remember not to be too hard on myself. Easier said then done haha.

Around this time of year along with midterms, comes our 14th annual family weekend. Kind of ironic huh? Being all stressed out about studying and then Bam! your family shows up. Well, for those of you who have families visiting. My family lives not too far outside the city so I just tell them we can do family weekend any weekend. But for the people who do faithfully trek into the city for the numerous events, there are some pretty good activities that usually take place. This year, the list of activities ranged from Fall Fest 08', to the Taste of Boston, and Duck Tours. In addition was also a Suffolk Family night private party at the Museum of Science. Fall Fest takes place every year and is an event put on in our C.Walsh theater (which this year is brand new and beautiful if you haven't seen it already!). It's a themed show that consists of multiple acts put on by groups or even sometimes single performers. This year the theme was Back to the 80's. I unfortunately did not get to go to the show but to get an idea of what they are like, check out this review of Fall Fest 07' (or should I say, 007) from last year which was themed after James Bond 007. Fall Fest 007 Delivers a Super Spy of a Performance - Arts & Entertainment. The Taste of Boston is also an awesome event that you can visit that the tickets are only $10 and you can sample and eat different foods from a variety of restaurants all over Boston that we bring to campus. The parents and families can familiarize their pallets with a little bit of everything that their sons/daughters are eating while they're at school here. Speaking from an insider point of view, I worked the Taste of Boston one year and the food was YUMMY! The Museum of Science even is pretty cool too because you get to feel like a VIP. There is a private party that takes place for Suffolk students and their families in the Blue Wing of the Museum of Science and includes dinner, parking and access to many exhibits throughout the museum. The best part was the Duck Tours. I worked with other fellow Ambassadors this Saturday to help organize the families onto their appropriate Ducks (keep reading you'll get it...) and then I myself got to even go on the Duck Tour too!! Despite being born and raised just outside of Boston and thinking I had a fair amount of knowledge about this city, boy was I wrong. I had never been on a Duck Tour and the facts they tell you about Boston are pretty damn cool. You get to ride in a WWII style amphibious landing vehicle which takes you on the roads throughout the city, AND into the Boston harbor in the water! Check out the DUCKS and I highly suggest going for a tour, it's awesome. Each boat has different tour guides who all have I guess what you would call a "schtick" and are pretty hilarious. They all have themed names such as Paul Reverse, Capt. Ray Beez, and our own personal tour guide was Capt. B.A. Watch. http://www.bostonducktours.com/conducktors_main.aspx?id=51. He was pretty funny, gave a few laughs. Suffolk is pretty good at keeping you entertained that's for sure.


Speaking of events, some senior week events are starting to happen. Even though Senior week is a straight week of events in the spring for us seniors to enjoy before graduating, there are different events sprinkled throughout the year that are also referred to as Senior week events. On Oct 30th, Thursday, there is an event at Boston Beer Works that we can go to for $5 and get free food and free pool and T shirts, I just may possibly have to make an appearance and take advantage! These events should be fun i'm excited to see what else they have in store for us seniors who are working our butts off!! Well I gotta go give a tour in a bit, Catch ya lata!!!

No comments: